Friday, May 13, 2011

Let's Make A Big Fiesta!


"Let's make a big fiesta. Let's make jamming things between our cultures. I had that feeling that one of these days I would jam with heavy weights and my dreams came true," says Jimenez.

Beginning in the mid 70s, Jimenez jammed with the heaviest musicians of every kind and style of music. The heaviest ones were the Rolling Stones. Jimenez ended up recording one cut on "Voodoo Lounge" called "Sweethearts Together."

"Sometimes you don't expect what's going to happen," says Jimenez. "I was on tour in San Francisco with my own band. I had a day off and producer Don Was tracked me down. I received a message and it said: this is my number. I'm Don Was. Are you interested in your day off to record with the Rolling Stones?

"I thought somebody was joking with me. In the morning, I called that number and it was Don Was. The Rolling Stones were recording in Hollywood. They picked me up and I didn't know what the hell I was going to record.

"When I got to the studio, Keith and Mick were there. It was straight to the recording booth. Mick said: check out the song and we'll give you a few passes.

"I heard the song. It was simple. It wasn't that hard rock thing these crazy guys do. After one pass, I told Jagger to play it again so I could get the feeling of the song. He told me to simply play along. I tried to blend what the song was about. Then I got secure as to what I was going to do. I told Mick I was set to go. He says: why? It had been a dry run for me but that sneaky guy had punched me in and the track was already recorded. I said to myself: thank God its over. There were no takes at all.

"When I got home, I had a delayed reaction. I closed the door to my home studio and started screaming: The Rolling Stones! I did it"!

-Flaco Jimenez

No comments:

Post a Comment